Friday, December 7, 2012

Black Out







Hat: H&M (similar) Turtleneck: American Apparel Skirt: Juicy Couture (similar) Belt: pilfered from the boyfriend, remastered by me  (similar)Tights: Hue Shoes: YSL Watch: Michael Kors Bracelets: John Hardy, Tiffany's Necklace (worm as bracelet): Tiffany's, DVF Brazilian Wish Bracelet 

Whenever I'm feeling a lack of outfit inspiration, I turn to my favorite dressing motto: 
When In Doubt, All Black It Out

It's the easiest formula for a chic, pulled-together outfit with minimal effort.
And let's face it - I love the color black. Anyone who knows me can certainly attest to that.
To keep the overall look from feeling a bit drab and depressing, look to mixing textures and shapes to break up the ensemble a bit.

Today, I did not one but two things I typically avoid, and I must say, I have officially broadened my sartorial horizons. First, I paired tights with (gasp) open-toed shoes. Something which I've seen pulled off wonderfully on some women...and horribly on others. I decided to give it a go with my patent YSL Tributes in an effort to a) mix textures, adding in a bit of shine to an otherwise matte look and b) try something new, and I was surprisingly pleased with the outcome. Plus, the all black with a hat instantly brought to mind Hedi Slimane's debut collection for Saint Laurent Paris so, how could I not have paired the shoes with the outfit?

Secondly, I did the almost unspeakable for me...I added a hat. I've always loved the look of hats in many styles on others, and secretly not-so secretly wished I could wear to the same effect. I've always thought there was something about the shape of my head and face that was just too tricky to master the art of wearing le chapeau.  

I now know I am, without a doubt, a convert.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs