Thursday, November 1, 2012

To Elsa, With Style



If asked what my #1 favorite, my must-see, the one TV show I wouldn't dare miss for anything in the whole wide world was when I was a little girl, what would your guess be?

Full House, you say? Close contender, but no...

Family Matters? ...Also part of the TGIF lineup which was, in a word, awesome. But no.

My Little Pony? Care Bears? Clarissa Explains It All?  No, no and no. 

Although I did rather enjoy all three.

At any rate, my most beloved program on television, the 30 minutes of the week I looked forward to most, sandwiched between violin lessons and gymnastics class, aired on none other than CNN.

That's right, the CNN. Cable Network News. And that program was the venerable Style With Elsa Klensch, which aired from 1980-2000.

image courtesy of wn.com
Still shot from Style with Elsa Klensch during an interview with Anna Fendi 

Though I did not discover the program until the 90's (birth year and biology can be such pesky things!), it was this show that started it all for me, regarding fashion. It was here that I came to know Mr. Lagerfeld (who at the time, might I add, I thought was Chanel), where I was able to sit front row at all the runway shows, and get the inside scoop with all the models backstage...from the comfort of my own home of course. I was still mastering the complexities of elementary school, after all.

An odd choice for a very young girl? Perhaps. Mature content considering my age? I am sure.

 But it was this show which ignited the passion for fashion that seeps from my every pore to this day. The reason, one could say, for my choice in career, for my interests, and of course, for this blog. 

And it was also the reason, I'm quite certain, that this little girl thought it an obvious choice to bring the Vogue September Issue into school for Show and Tell.

Sorry big sis, if you were ever wondering where your September 1994 issue disappeared to...well, there you have it.

Please enjoy for yourself, a tidbit from Style with Elsa Klensch below.
Though this clip is from the show's final season, you'll still spot a certain industry superstar or two at the genesis of stardom.

Elsa, here's to you!






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs